How does posaconazole work?

Posaconazole is a type of antifungal medicine that works by decreasing the production of a substance (called ergosterol) that the fungus needs to make functional cell membranes. Without these functional cell membranes, the contents leak out of the cell. Without cell contents, the fungal cells do not grow and reproduce.

Continue Learning about Antifungal

What is Cresemba?
Cresemba is a brand name for isavuconazonium, a strong antifungal medication intended to treat serio...
What foods should I avoid if I take antifungal medication?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take antifungals such as fluconazole (Diflucan), griseofulvin (Grifulvin), ketoconazole (Nizo...