What kinds of vaginal anti-fungal medications are available?

Vaginal anti-fungal medications usually come in one of three forms: cream, tablet, or suppository.  Creams, inserted into the vagina manually, are applied for 1 or 3-14 days. If creams seem a bit too messy for your taste, you could try using vaginal tablets that are placed into the vagina using an applicator (like how you might insert a tampon). Depending on the specific type of tablet, a complete course will be between 3 and 14 days. Finally, you could try a vaginal suppository, in which a gel-like substance is inserted vaginally (also using an applicator); the substance contains anti-fungal medicine and dissolves slowly. If you’re unsure about which one is right for you, talk to your doctor.
There are several types of vaginal anti-fungal medications that can treat a vaginal yeast infection. Some of these medications come in creams. Others come as suppositories, which you insert into the vagina; for example, you can buy butoconazole, clotrimazole, miconazole, and tioconazole in over-the-counter suppository form. Another vaginal anti-fungal drug is a prescription tablet called fluconazole.

Continue Learning about Antifungal

What foods should I avoid if I take antifungal medication?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take antifungals such as fluconazole (Diflucan), griseofulvin (Grifulvin), ketoconazole (Nizo...
What is Cresemba?
Cresemba is a brand name for isavuconazonium, a strong antifungal medication intended to treat serio...