What should I know about tolnaftate before applying it?

You should use your tolnaftate for the entire prescribed time, even if your symptoms have disappeared. Apply tolnaftate to the affected area after you have cleaned and dried it. Leave the affected area open to air. Apply twice daily for two to six weeks, depending on your prescription. Contact your doctor if you see no improvement after 10 days.

Tight-fitting clothes and shoes made of synthetic materials should be avoided. Wear breathable clothing, such as those made of cotton, until your infection is gone.

Missed doses should be applied as soon as you remember it, unless it is too close to your next dose, in which case you should just skip the missed dose and get back on your regular schedule.
Do not use tolnaftate if you are allergic to it. Tolnaftate has not been proven to be safe in pregnant women and their unborn babies, so talk to your doctor if you are pregnant or nursing, as it has not yet been determined if tolnaftate passes through breast milk.

Store this medication at room temperature and away from direct light. Never let it freeze. Do not dispose of an empty tolnaftate canister in an open fire, as it may explode.

As with any medication, drug interactions can occur. You should talk to your doctor regarding any medication that you are taking. Other topical medications can affect the absorption of tolnaftate, so discuss these with your doctor as well. 

Continue Learning about Antifungal

What is Cresemba?
Cresemba is a brand name for isavuconazonium, a strong antifungal medication intended to treat serio...
What foods should I avoid if I take antifungal medication?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take antifungals such as fluconazole (Diflucan), griseofulvin (Grifulvin), ketoconazole (Nizo...