What should I know about posaconazole before taking it?

Posaconazole is an antifungal medication used to help prevent and treat fungal infections in people with weakened immune systems. Before taking posaconazole you should know that it can interact with other medications and may not be safe to use if you have certain medical conditions. These medical conditions include: heart disease, arrhythmia, liver disease and mineral imbalance. If you are taking medications for kidney disease, posaconazole may change their effectiveness.

Your blood and liver function may need to be tested while you are taking posaconazole to ensure the medication is not causing harmful side effects. It is not known whether posaconazole is safe to take while pregnant or breastfeeding. Discuss with your doctor the potential risks and benefits of taking posaconazole while pregnant.

Continue Learning about Antifungal

What foods should I avoid if I take antifungal medication?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take antifungals such as fluconazole (Diflucan), griseofulvin (Grifulvin), ketoconazole (Nizo...
What is Cresemba?
Cresemba is a brand name for isavuconazonium, a strong antifungal medication intended to treat serio...