What should I know about Emend before taking it?

Emend, also known by the generic name aprepitant, is used in conjunction with other medications to prevent nausea from chemotherapy or alone to prevent it after a surgery. It must be taken before chemotherapy and surgery in order to work. Emend is not effective if you already are experiencing nausea or vomiting. Emend is a short-term treatment, and should not be taken for extended periods. In rare cases, Emend can cause a life-threatening allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis, which requires immediate care. Taking Emend can cause a severe interaction if you're on pimozide or if you have liver disease. Emend can also interact with oral contraceptives; use another method to prevent pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Antiemetic

Could I be allergic to Vistaril?
Allergy symptoms are triggered by the release of a natural compound called histamine. Histamine star...