What should I know about droperidol before taking it?

You should know there are various health conditions that affect how droperidol is used. Inform your doctor if you are 65 years of age or older or if you have any of the following: congestive heart failure, enlarged heart, heart disease, alcoholism, irregular heart rhythm, slow heartbeat, low blood potassium levels, low blood magnesium levels, seizures, depression, liver disease or pheochromocytoma (a type of adrenal tumor associated with high blood pressure and increased heart rate due to oversecretion of the hormones adrenaline and noradrenaline). It also is important to know that children could be prone to experiencing more side effects, including muscle spasms of the face, neck, back and tongue, as well as difficulty moving the eyes. Likewise, the elderly also may have problems with increased side effects, such as excessive drowsiness or dizziness.

The doctor must carefully monitor older people for abnormal heartbeats. If you are pregnant, you should know that no adequate studies on the effects of droperidol during pregnancy have been conducted. In addition, there have been no adequate studies to determine if a breastfeeding woman who takes droperidol passes the drug to her nursing infant through breast milk or if that poses a risk to the infant.

Continue Learning about Antiemetic

Could I be allergic to Vistaril?
Allergy symptoms are triggered by the release of a natural compound called histamine. Histamine star...