What should I know about ondansetron before taking it?

Talk to your doctor about your medical history before taking ondansetron. You should not take ondansetron if you have liver disease. Adjustments to your treatment may be made if you have a family history of a heart disorder known as long QT syndrome. Ondansetron is in pregnancy Category B. It should be used during pregnancy only when clearly needed. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or are thinking of becoming pregnant. Also, tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding. It is not known if ondansetron passes into breast milk. Because ondansetron may contain phenylalanine, talk to your doctor if you have a condition called phenylketonuria. It may be dangerous for you to take ondansetron.

Due to possible interactions, you should also discuss all medications you take. You may not be able to take ondansetron if you are taking any of the following: carbamazepine, phenytoin, phenobarbital, rifabutin, rifampin, rifapentine, St. John's Wort or tramadol.

Ondansetron comes in different forms that you take by mouth. Follow your doctor's instructions on how to take ondansetron.

Continue Learning about Antiemetic

Could I be allergic to Vistaril?
Allergy symptoms are triggered by the release of a natural compound called histamine. Histamine star...