What should I know about Pylera before taking it?

Before you take Pylera, you should know that this is a 10-day course of medication to treat peptic ulcers. Pylera is a combination medication that includes an antimicrobial drug called bismuth subcitrate and the antibiotics metronidazole and tetracycline. Together, these three drugs can help stop the growth of Helicobacter pylori, the bacteria that causes most stomach ulcers. Pylera is prescribed along with omeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor that reduces the amount of acid the stomach produces.

You should also know that Pylera can interact with certain medications and foods, such as calcium-fortified products, antacids and zinc and iron supplements. You should not drink alcohol while taking this medication and you should limit your sun exposure. Pylera can also reduce the effectiveness of hormonal contraceptives, such as birth control pills, so you should use a backup form of contraception while taking Pylera to prevent pregnancy. You should not take Pylera while you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, because doing so could harm the developing fetus or baby.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

Who should take anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications are intended for the temporary relief of diarrhea and ga...
What should I know about anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Most people can safely use over-the-counter medications for diarrhea or gas. Before you use anti...
Are antidiarrheals safe for use in children?
Antidiarrheals are generally safe for use in children. However, the usage of certain antidiarrhe...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?