What is loperamide?

Loperamide is a common over-the-counter treatment for diarrhea. This medication helps to stop diarrhea by slowing the movement of fluids through your bowels. It is available in tablet, capsule or liquid form. Loperamide can be taken on a schedule for chronic diarrhea or after each bowel movement. A brand name for loperamide is Imodium A-D.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

How do anti-diarrheal and gas medications work?
Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate) helps to treat diarrhea by influencing how flui...
What are anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications include over-the-counter products that help control symp...
Are anti-diarrhea and anti-gas medications safe to take if I am pregnant?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
Flatulence is definitely not a gas for pregnant women -- and that goes double for diarrhea. Watc...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?