What is loperamide?

Loperamide is a common over-the-counter treatment for diarrhea. This medication helps to stop diarrhea by slowing the movement of fluids through your bowels. It is available in tablet, capsule or liquid form. Loperamide can be taken on a schedule for chronic diarrhea or after each bowel movement. A brand name for loperamide is Imodium A-D.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

How do anti-diarrheal and gas medications work?
Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate) helps to treat diarrhea by influencing how flui...
Are antidiarrheals safe for use in children?
Antidiarrheals are generally safe for use in children. However, the usage of certain antidiarrhe...
How do antidiarrheals differ from laxatives?
Antidiarrheals are the exact opposite of laxatives. While antidiarrheals help to slow bowel movement...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?