What is diphenoxylate-atropine?

Diphenoxylate-atropine is a generic prescription medication; the brand name versions are Lonox and Lomotil. It's used for the treatment of diarrhea and helps to decrease the number and frequency of bowel movements. It works by slowing the movement of the intestines.

Diphenoxylate, related to meperidine, decreases motility of the gastrointestinal tract. Atropine discourages the deliberate overdose of diphenoxylate, and also helps to dry up body fluids and slow gut movement.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

How do anti-diarrheal and gas medications work?
Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate) helps to treat diarrhea by influencing how flui...
How do antidiarrheals differ from laxatives?
Antidiarrheals are the exact opposite of laxatives. While antidiarrheals help to slow bowel movement...
Are there any risks in taking anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Over-the-counter anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications are safe if used as directed in the app...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?