What is diphenoxylate-atropine?

Diphenoxylate-atropine is a generic prescription medication; the brand name versions are Lonox and Lomotil. It's used for the treatment of diarrhea and helps to decrease the number and frequency of bowel movements. It works by slowing the movement of the intestines.

Diphenoxylate, related to meperidine, decreases motility of the gastrointestinal tract. Atropine discourages the deliberate overdose of diphenoxylate, and also helps to dry up body fluids and slow gut movement.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

Are antidiarrheals safe for use in children?
Antidiarrheals are generally safe for use in children. However, the usage of certain antidiarrhe...
What are anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications include over-the-counter products that help control symp...
Who should not take antidiarrhea and gas medications?
Children aged 6 years or younger should not take antidiarrhea medications, unless your child's docto...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?