What is diphenoxylate and atropine?

Diphenoxylate and atropine is a prescription medication used to stop diarrhea. Adults can take the medicine, which is available under the brand name Lomotil, in a tablet or liquid form. Children between two and 12 years of age should only take the liquid form of the medication. This combination of medications slows down the intestinal muscles so stools do not leave the body as quickly. It is classified as an antidiarrheal and an anticholinergic combination drug.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

What are the side effects of anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
The side effects of anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications depend on the medication you are tak...
What are anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications include over-the-counter products that help control symp...
Are anti-diarrhea and anti-gas medications safe to take if I am pregnant?
Talk to your doctor before using an anti-diarrheal or anti-gas remedy when you are pregnant, because...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?