What is difenoxin and atropine?

Difenoxin and atropine is a combination drug used to treat severe diarrhea in adults. It does this by slowing down movement in the intestines. Difenoxin is a medication similar to narcotic pain relievers and acts mainly to slow the motions of the gut. Atropine is an anticholinergic medication. It dries out bodily tissues and also slows movement in the gut.

Difenoxin and atropine is sold in U.S. under the brand name Motofen and is available only with a doctor's prescription.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

Are there generic anti-diarrheals and gas medications?
Yes, generic anti-diarrheal and anti-gas products are readily available. For diarrhea, bismuth s...
What are the side effects of anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
The side effects of anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications depend on the medication you are tak...
What are anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications include over-the-counter products that help control symp...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?