What are anti-diarrheal and gas medications?

Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications include over-the-counter products that help control symptoms of diarrhea and gas. They are generally available without prescription, either as name brand products or generics. For example, bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate) and loperamide (Imodium, Maalox Anti-Diarrhea) are used to treat diarrhea. Simethicone, the active ingredient (Gas-X, Mylanta Gas) that treats excess gas. If you have chronic diarrhea or gas, you should see your doctor, who may prescribe a different medication. Some cases of diarrhea, for example, are caused by bacterial infections, including those that you can get from tainted food, and these may require an antibiotic. To improve digestive health, you may also be interested in probiotic supplements, which can help restore gastrointestinal balance by supplying the "good" bacteria you need for proper digestion.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?