What is alosetron (Lotronex)?

Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Gastroenterology
There is research focusing on the gut-brain connection, which appears to play a role in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), with serotonin-like medications known as 5-hydroxytrypamine receptor antagonists among those being investigated. The first of these to be approved for diarrhea-predominant IBS was alosetron (Lotronex), which works on the serotonin type 3 receptor. However, Lotronex was temporarily taken off the market in 2000 because of colitis and severe constipation that resulted in 44 hospitalizations and five deaths. Lotronex is now available for women by prescription but only under a tightly controlled prescribing program.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

Who should take anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications are intended for the temporary relief of diarrhea and ga...
Are anti-diarrhea and anti-gas medications safe to take if I am pregnant?
Talk to your doctor before using an anti-diarrheal or anti-gas remedy when you are pregnant, because...
What are anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications include over-the-counter products that help control symp...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?