What is alosetron hydrochloride?

Alosetron hydrochloride is a serotonin antagonist used by women with severe diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). They should have had symptoms of IBS for six months or longer, have no anatomic or biochemical abnormalities of the gastrointestinal tract, and have not  responded to other treatments. This medication helps relieve diarrhea, bowel movement urgency, and painful cramping associated with IBS by blocking serotonin in the bowel and hence slowing stool movements. Lotronex, the brand name for alosetron hydrochloride, does not have a generic equivalent. Lotronex is only available by prescription from a doctor who is specially trained in use of this medication. Infrequent but serious gastrointestinal adverse reactions, including ischemic colitis and serious complications of constipation, have been associated with taking this drug and have lead to hospitalization, and rarely, blood transfusion, surgery, and death. As a result, there is a certification program called the Prometheus Prescribing Program that allows only doctors who have shown that they understand the benefits and risks of the drug to prescribe it. 

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

How do antidiarrheals differ from laxatives?
Antidiarrheals are the exact opposite of laxatives. While antidiarrheals help to slow bowel movement...
Are anti-diarrhea and anti-gas medications safe to take if I am pregnant?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
Flatulence is definitely not a gas for pregnant women -- and that goes double for diarrhea. Watc...
Are antidiarrheals safe for use in children?
Antidiarrheals are generally safe for use in children. However, the usage of certain antidiarrhe...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?