Can I use Pylera if I am breastfeeding?

Pylera, a prescription drug therapy used to treat peptic ulcers, is not recommended for women while they are breastfeeding. The antibiotic ingredients in Pylera, metronidazole and tetracycline, are known to pass into breast milk. Animal studies suggest that metronidazole might cause tumors in nursing infants; tetracycline can cause damage to a baby's developing teeth.

If you develop a peptic ulcer while breastfeeding, you and your doctor should decide together whether to discontinue breastfeeding or hold off on taking Pylera. You may also be able to feed your baby formula during your Pylera treatment and for 24 hours afterward (pumping and discarding your breast milk during this time), and resume breastfeeding once the antibiotics are out of your system.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

What are anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications include over-the-counter products that help control symp...
Who should not take antidiarrhea and gas medications?
Children aged 6 years or younger should not take antidiarrhea medications, unless your child's docto...
What are the side effects of anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
The side effects of anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications depend on the medication you are tak...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?