Can I use Pylera if I am breastfeeding?

Pylera, a prescription drug therapy used to treat peptic ulcers, is not recommended for women while they are breastfeeding. The antibiotic ingredients in Pylera, metronidazole and tetracycline, are known to pass into breast milk. Animal studies suggest that metronidazole might cause tumors in nursing infants; tetracycline can cause damage to a baby's developing teeth.

If you develop a peptic ulcer while breastfeeding, you and your doctor should decide together whether to discontinue breastfeeding or hold off on taking Pylera. You may also be able to feed your baby formula during your Pylera treatment and for 24 hours afterward (pumping and discarding your breast milk during this time), and resume breastfeeding once the antibiotics are out of your system.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

Are there generic anti-diarrheals and gas medications?
Yes, generic anti-diarrheal and anti-gas products are readily available. For diarrhea, bismuth s...
Are antidiarrheals safe for use in children?
Antidiarrheals are generally safe for use in children. However, the usage of certain antidiarrhe...
Who should take anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications are intended for the temporary relief of diarrhea and ga...
What should I know about anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Most people can safely use over-the-counter medications for diarrhea or gas. Before you use anti...