What are the side effects of anti-diarrheal and gas medications?

The side effects of anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications depend on the medication you are taking. Allergic reaction to any product is possible. Call 911 immediately if you have difficulty breathing, or swelling of your mouth, lips or tongue.

The effects of the diarrheal disorder may sometimes be confused with side effects of the drug used to treat it. These include abdominal pain, abdominal distension, drowsiness, dizziness and nausea/vomiting. Side effects are usually associated with overdose. In addition, loperamide can cause constipation and slow the movement of the gut so much that it stops (called ileus, a very serious problem). Bismuth subsalicylate can cause constipation, symptoms of salicylate toxicity (hearing loss, tinnitus) and a harmless discoloration of the tongue.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

How do anti-diarrheal and gas medications work?
Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate) helps to treat diarrhea by influencing how flui...
Are there any risks in taking anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Over-the-counter anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications are safe if used as directed in the app...
What should I know about anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Most people can safely use over-the-counter medications for diarrhea or gas. Before you use anti...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?