Are there any risks in taking anti-diarrheal and gas medications?

Over-the-counter anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications are safe if used as directed in the appropriate dose. Bismuth subsalicylate, the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol, should not be given to a child under 12. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, check with your doctor before using any medication. Loperamide, the active ingredient in many anti-diarrheal medications, can make you drowsy, so it may not be safe to drive a car; see how it affects you before driving. Some anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications may interact with other medications you are using, so check with your pharmacist to see if there is any concern.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

What are anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications include over-the-counter products that help control symp...
How do antidiarrheals differ from laxatives?
Antidiarrheals are the exact opposite of laxatives. While antidiarrheals help to slow bowel movement...
Are antidiarrheals safe for use in children?
Antidiarrheals are generally safe for use in children. However, the usage of certain antidiarrhe...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?