If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Pylera?

If you are pregnant, it may not be safe to take Pylera to treat a peptic ulcer. Metronidazole, one of the antibiotic medications included in Pylera, has been shown to cross the placental barrier between the mother and developing fetus. In one study, pregnant mice that were injected with metronidazole lost their developing fetuses, although the drug's effect on pregnant women is still unknown.

Another antibiotic used in Pylera, tetracycline, can cause birth defects when given to pregnant women. It can also affect developing teeth in the fetus, so when the permanent teeth erupt, they can be damaged and discolored. In addition, pregnant women with kidney disease may develop tetracycline-associated liver failure when taking Pylera.

If you discover that you are pregnant while taking Pylera, tell your doctor immediately. You will have to decide together whether the benefits to you outweigh the risks to your baby.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

What are anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications include over-the-counter products that help control symp...
Who should take anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications are intended for the temporary relief of diarrhea and ga...
Are there any risks in taking anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Over-the-counter anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications are safe if used as directed in the app...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?