What is the maximum daily dosage for loperamide?

The maximum daily dose for loperamide varies depending on the age of the patient. For adults and adolescents 12 years of age and older, the maximum dose is 16 mg. per day, in divided doses. Typically, this will be four mg. following the first bout of diarrhea and two mg. doses after each additional bout of diarrhea. The maximum doses for children are lower: nine to 11 years of age, maximun six mg. per day; six to eight years of age, maximum four mg. per day; two to five years of age, three mg. per day; under two years of age, safety and efficacy have not been established; therefore, is not recommended.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

Are there generic anti-diarrheals and gas medications?
Yes, generic anti-diarrheal and anti-gas products are readily available. For diarrhea, bismuth s...
Who should not take antidiarrhea and gas medications?
Children aged 6 years or younger should not take antidiarrhea medications, unless your child's docto...
How do anti-diarrheal and gas medications work?
Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate) helps to treat diarrhea by influencing how flui...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?