How does loperamide interact with other medications?

Loperamide does sometimes interact with certain medications. You should tell your doctor about any medications you are taking to see if they interact with loperamide. Antiviral medicines for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), antibiotics and prescription pain medicines may interact with loperamide. Also, you should not drink alcohol while taking this medication because it may increase the drowsiness that is a side effect of loperamide.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

Are anti-diarrhea and anti-gas medications safe to take if I am pregnant?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
Flatulence is definitely not a gas for pregnant women -- and that goes double for diarrhea. Watc...
Are antidiarrheals safe for use in children?
Antidiarrheals are generally safe for use in children. However, the usage of certain antidiarrhe...
Are there any risks in taking anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Over-the-counter anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications are safe if used as directed in the app...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?