What should I know about diphenoxylate-atropine before taking it?

Before taking Diphenoxylate-Atropine, you should know that only the liquid form should be taken by children younger than 13 years of age, and everyone should only use exactly the dose that is prescribed. Overdose for a child could result in breathing problems, death or permanent brain damage. The medication can take up to about 48 hours before relief of symptoms. When taking Diphenoxylate-Atropine make sure to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. Diphenoxylate-Atropine may interact with other medications. Interactions are known to occur with barbiturates, tranquilizers, alcohol and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs). Additional interactions may exist, so it's important to tell your doctor about all medications you are taking, including prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins and herbal supplements, before starting Diphenoxylate-Atropine.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

How do antidiarrheals differ from laxatives?
Antidiarrheals are the exact opposite of laxatives. While antidiarrheals help to slow bowel movement...
Are anti-diarrheals and gas medications safe for older people?
Anti-diarrheal medications are generally safe for older people. But as you age, you are more lik...
Are there any risks in taking anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Over-the-counter anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications are safe if used as directed in the app...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?