Is Paregoric habit-forming?

Paregoric (Tincture of Opium) is an anti-diarrheal that hinders contractions of the gastrointestinal tract to slow the movement of the stool to treat diarrhea. Since it contains a very low dose of opium that contains the narcotic morphine, it can cause dependence if used long term.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

Who should not take antidiarrhea and gas medications?
Children aged 6 years or younger should not take antidiarrhea medications, unless your child's docto...
What are anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications include over-the-counter products that help control symp...
Are there generic anti-diarrheals and gas medications?
Yes, generic anti-diarrheal and anti-gas products are readily available. For diarrhea, bismuth s...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?