How should I take anti-diarrheal or anti-gas medications?

Pay attention to the directions on the anti-diarrheal or anti-gas medication package. If you take the anti-diarrheal drug called bismuth subsalicylate (sold as Pepto-Bismol and Kaopectate) as a liquid, measure your dose carefully with a proper measuring spoon, not a kitchen spoon. Or if you are taking a chewable tablet, chew before swallowing it.

For loperamide, another anti-diarrheal medication sold as Imodium, take it with a glass of water. Do not take loperamide more than three times in 24 hours unless your doctor approves it. Imodium A-D Liquid and New Imodium A-D Liquid contain two different strengths of loperamide.

If you switch from using one brand to the other, follow the dosing instructions carefully.

For treating excess gas, simethicone (in Alka-Seltzer Anti-Gas, Gas-X, Maalox Anti-Gas Extra Strength and Mylanta Gas) works best if you take it after a meal or right before you go to bed. Read medication directions carefully. In general, drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration from diarrhea.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

Are there generic anti-diarrheals and gas medications?
Yes, generic anti-diarrheal and anti-gas products are readily available. For diarrhea, bismuth s...
Are antidiarrheals safe for use in children?
Antidiarrheals are generally safe for use in children. However, the usage of certain antidiarrhe...
What are the side effects of anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
The side effects of anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications depend on the medication you are tak...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?