Loperamide treats diarrhea by slowing down the speed of digestion. This gives the small intestines the opportunity to more fully absorb nutrients and fluids from foods. Loperamide can be found at any drug store as one of many brand names (e.g. Imodium). However, your doctor may prescribe prescription-strength loperamide if you have a more serious case of diarrhea.
- Q How are prescription and over-the-counter loperamide different?
- Q What are the dosage recommendations for loperamide?
- Q How does loperamide interact with other medications?
- Q What are the risks of taking loperamide?
- Q Who should not take loperamide?
- Q What is the maximum daily dosage for loperamide?