How does loperamide treat diarrhea?

Loperamide treats diarrhea by slowing down the speed of digestion. This gives the small intestines the opportunity to more fully absorb nutrients and fluids from foods. Loperamide can be found at any drug store as one of many brand names (e.g. Imodium). However, your doctor may prescribe prescription-strength loperamide if you have a more serious case of diarrhea.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

What are the side effects of anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
The side effects of anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications depend on the medication you are tak...
Are anti-diarrheals and gas medications safe for older people?
Anti-diarrheal medications are generally safe for older people. But as you age, you are more lik...
How do antidiarrheals differ from laxatives?
Antidiarrheals are the exact opposite of laxatives. While antidiarrheals help to slow bowel movement...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?