How do I take Paregoric?

Paregoric (Tincture of Opium) is an anti-diarrheal that contains a very low dose of opium, a narcotic that hinders contractions of the gastrointestinal tract to slow the movement of stool to treat diarrhea. The liquid tincture is taken by mouth one to four times a day or immediately after each loose bowel movement. Adults usual take 5-10 ml. and children take 0.25-0.5 ml. per kg. of body weight.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

How do anti-diarrheal and gas medications work?
Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate) helps to treat diarrhea by influencing how flui...
How do antidiarrheals differ from laxatives?
Antidiarrheals are the exact opposite of laxatives. While antidiarrheals help to slow bowel movement...
What should I know about anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Most people can safely use over-the-counter medications for diarrhea or gas. Before you use anti...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?