How do antidiarrheals differ from laxatives?

Antidiarrheals are the exact opposite of laxatives. While antidiarrheals help to slow bowel movements and control diarrhea, laxatives encourage bowel movements and often induce diarrhea. Before using either of these medications, you should talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

Are antidiarrheals safe for use in children?
Antidiarrheals are generally safe for use in children. However, the usage of certain antidiarrhe...
Who should take anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications are intended for the temporary relief of diarrhea and ga...
How do anti-diarrheal and gas medications work?
Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate) helps to treat diarrhea by influencing how flui...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?