What foods should I avoid when taking medications for diarrhea and gas?

When you are taking medicine to treat diarrhea or gas, you may want to forgo certain foods simply because they can make your symptoms worse. For instance, if you have diarrhea it is best to avoid caffeine, milk products, greasy meals and sugary desserts and drinks. As you get better, try mild, easy-to-digest foods like rice, boiled potatoes, toast, crackers, bananas and baked chicken without the skin.

With excess gas symptoms, avoid eating too many carbohydrate-rich foods, especially beans, dairy foods and high-fat foods. High-fat foods take a long time to digest and can trap gases in your stomach. Experiment with dietary changes to see which ones help reduce your gas symptoms.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

What are the side effects of anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
The side effects of anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications depend on the medication you are tak...
What are anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications include over-the-counter products that help control symp...
Are anti-diarrhea and anti-gas medications safe to take if I am pregnant?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
Flatulence is definitely not a gas for pregnant women -- and that goes double for diarrhea. Watc...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?