How does diphenoxylate and atropine interact with other medications?

Diphenoxylate and atropine (Lomotil) can interact with other medications. Do not take this drug if you are taking sodium oxybate. You may not be able to use the medication if you are taking prescription barbiturates or monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) because they can affect Lomotil.

If you take any medications that cause drowsiness, including over-the-counter products, they can increase the drowsiness caused by this prescription. Allergy medications, antidepressants and drugs for Parkinson's disease may also interact with this drug. You should also avoid alcohol while using this medication.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

Are anti-diarrheals and gas medications safe for older people?
Anti-diarrheal medications are generally safe for older people. But as you age, you are more lik...
What are the side effects of anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
The side effects of anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications depend on the medication you are tak...
Are antidiarrheals safe for use in children?
Antidiarrheals are generally safe for use in children. However, the usage of certain antidiarrhe...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?