Can I give Paregoric to my child?

Paregoric (Tincture of Opium) is an anti-diarrheal that contains a very low dose of opium, a narcotic that hinders contractions of the gastrointestinal tract to slow the movement of stool to treat diarrhea. The liquid tincture is taken by mouth one to four times a day or immediately after each loose bowel movement. Children can be prescribed 0.25-0.5 milliliters (mL.) per kilogram (kg.) of body weight.

Although it is primarily used to treat diarrhea, Paregoric is sometimes used to treat newborns born to mothers who have been addicted to opiates (neonatal opioid dependence.) It should not be used to quiet restless babies.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

What should I know about anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Most people can safely use over-the-counter medications for diarrhea or gas. Before you use anti...
What are the side effects of anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
The side effects of anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications depend on the medication you are tak...
What are anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications include over-the-counter products that help control symp...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?