Are anti-diarrheals and gas medications safe for older people?

Anti-diarrheal medications are generally safe for older people. But as you age, you are more likely to have a medical condition and be using other medications that may interact with anti-diarrheal and gas medications. Read directions carefully. Many medications that older people use may themselves cause diarrhea; infections and antibiotics cause about a third of the diarrhea in older people. Underlying conditions such as thyroid disease and diabetes may also cause diarrhea. If you have chronic diarrhea, do not just treat the symptoms with over-the-counter anti-diarrheal and gas medications. Talk to your doctor about possible underlying causes. Serious bacterial infections that cause diarrhea may need prescription antibiotics.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

Are anti-diarrhea and anti-gas medications safe to take if I am pregnant?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
Flatulence is definitely not a gas for pregnant women -- and that goes double for diarrhea. Watc...
Are there generic anti-diarrheals and gas medications?
Yes, generic anti-diarrheal and anti-gas products are readily available. For diarrhea, bismuth s...
How do antidiarrheals differ from laxatives?
Antidiarrheals are the exact opposite of laxatives. While antidiarrheals help to slow bowel movement...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?