Are anti-diarrhea and anti-gas medications safe to take if I am pregnant?

Talk to your doctor before using an anti-diarrheal or anti-gas remedy when you are pregnant, because some anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications may not be safe for your growing baby. Bismuth subsalicylate -- the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate and other products -- is related to aspirin and has been shown to harm the fetus in animal studies.

Other animal studies have detected harm to the fetus from simethicone, the active agent in Alka-Seltzer Anti-Gas, Gas-X, Maalox Anti-Gas Extra Strength and Mylanta Gas.

Loperamide, found in Imodium, may be a safer choice; research hasn't shown that it poses a risk to the fetus. Discuss any over-the-counter or prescription drug with your doctor before taking it during your pregnancy.

Flatulence is definitely not a gas for pregnant women -- and that goes double for diarrhea. Watch this video in which obstetrician and gynecologist Dr. Lauren Streicher explains when to use which drugstore medications for gastric relief.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

What should I know about anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Most people can safely use over-the-counter medications for diarrhea or gas. Before you use anti...
How do antidiarrheals differ from laxatives?
Antidiarrheals are the exact opposite of laxatives. While antidiarrheals help to slow bowel movement...
Who should not take antidiarrhea and gas medications?
Children aged 6 years or younger should not take antidiarrhea medications, unless your child's docto...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?