Are anti-diarrhea and anti-gas medications safe to take if I am pregnant?

Flatulence is definitely not a gas for pregnant women -- and that goes double for diarrhea. Watch this video in which obstetrician and gynecologist Dr. Lauren Streicher explains when to use which drugstore medications for gastric relief.

Talk to your doctor before using an anti-diarrheal or anti-gas remedy when you are pregnant, because some anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications may not be safe for your growing baby. Bismuth subsalicylate -- the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate and other products -- is related to aspirin and has been shown to harm the fetus in animal studies.

Other animal studies have detected harm to the fetus from simethicone, the active agent in Alka-Seltzer Anti-Gas, Gas-X, Maalox Anti-Gas Extra Strength and Mylanta Gas.

Loperamide, found in Imodium, may be a safer choice; research hasn't shown that it poses a risk to the fetus. Discuss any over-the-counter or prescription drug with your doctor before taking it during your pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Antidiarrheal

Are antidiarrheals safe for use in children?
Antidiarrheals are generally safe for use in children. However, the usage of certain antidiarrhe...
What are anti-diarrheal and gas medications?
Anti-diarrheal and anti-gas medications include over-the-counter products that help control symp...
Are anti-diarrheals and gas medications safe for older people?
Anti-diarrheal medications are generally safe for older people. But as you age, you are more lik...
Are Anti-Diarrhea and Anti-Gas Medications Safe to Take If I Am Pregnant?