Who should not take Januvia?

Do not take Januvia if you have type 1 diabetes or if you have an allergic reaction to the medication’s active ingredient, sitagliptin, or any inactive ingredients. Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction may be hives (red skin patches), a rash, extensive swelling of the face or inside the mouth or throat that causes breathing problems. While it is not known if Januvia harms an unborn child, if you are pregnant, consult with your doctor regarding any precautions to take. Also, it is not known if this medication travels into breast milk, so if you breastfeed, discuss this with your doctor for guidance. Januvia should not be given to children under 18 years, unless advised by the doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
Does premlintide have any side effects?
Side effects of pramlintide may include nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pai...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
A drug called Avandia is widely used to treat diabetes. But is it safe? Watch as Drs. Oz, Steven Nis...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...