Who should not take glimepiride?

Do not take glimepiride without talking to your doctor about your medical history and without a prescription. You should not take glimepiride if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, unless a doctor has given you permission to take the drug. In addition, you should not take glimepiride if you suffer from any of the following diseases:
  • type I diabetes
  • heart problems, stroke, diseases of the liver, kidney, thyroid, or blood vessels, or a history of these conditions
  • stomach and bowel disorders
  • acute anemia, high acid content in your blood, serious injury or infection

You should also refrain from taking glimepiride if you drink alcohol, are very sick or injured, or are taking certain medications. If you are at risk of an allergic reaction, you should also avoid glimepiride. In some cases, your doctor may prescribe an altered dosage of the drug even if you have some of these conditions. However, it is important that you first discuss your medical history with your doctor to make sure glimepiride is right for you.

You should not take glimepiride if you are allergic to any of its ingredients, or if you've had an allergic reaction to other medications called sulfonamide derivatives. Tell your doctor about any drug allergies or medication reactions you've had in the past. 

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
What are sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
Sulfonylurea drugs are used to treat type 2 diabetes. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abd...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
Do any other drugs interact with pramlintide?
Because pramlintide may affect absorption rates of some oral drugs, follow instructions carefully fo...