Who should not take repaglinide and metformin?

Repaglinide and metformin (PrandiMet) is not recommended to treat type 2 diabetes in children. Women who are breastfeeding shouldn't take this drug either, as both repaglinide and metformin can pass through breast milk. It's important for women who are pregnant and have type 2 diabetes to manage their condition, but repaglinide and metformin may be harmful to developing fetuses, so if you're pregnant or may become pregnant while taking this medication, you and your doctor should weigh the benefits of doing so against the potential risks.

Because repaglinide and metformin is primarily excreted by the kidneys, people with reduced kidney function should not take it. And anyone who's scheduled to have a surgical procedure or an imaging procedure that uses an iodinated contrast agent should stop taking repaglinide and metformin until after recovering from the procedures.

If you're allergic to repaglinide, metformin or any of the ingredients in the combined drug, you shouldn't take repaglinide and metformin. Tell your doctor about all medications you are taking, including over-the-counter drugs and supplements.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How does Novolog Flexpen treat diabetes?
In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood ...
If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
Do any other drugs interact with pramlintide?
Because pramlintide may affect absorption rates of some oral drugs, follow instructions carefully fo...