When can I stop taking glyburide and metformin?

You may take glyburide and metformin (brand name: Glucovance), a combination medication for type 2 diabetes, for years. Alternatively, there may be reasons for you to stop taking glyburide and metformin at some point. It may cause side effects that are difficult to tolerate, for instance. Or you may need to have surgery, in which case experts say that you should stop taking glyburide and metformin temporarily before your operation; you can start it up again later. If you're pregnant or breastfeeding, your doctor may recommend that you stop taking glyburide and metformin and take insulin instead.

If you need to stop, don't do it on your own. Work with your doctor to find the safest way to stop taking glyburide and metformin -- and to substitute another method for controlling your diabetes and your blood sugar levels.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Does liraglutide interact with any other medications?
Liraglutide can affect the absorption of some oral medications; it is important that the healthcare ...
Does liraglutide cause any side effects?
Side effects may include headache, indigestion, nausea, low blood sugar, diarrhea, constipation, vom...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
Do alpha-glucosidase inhibitors have any drug interactions?
Drugs that may cause hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia need to be administered with caution to prevent l...