When can I stop taking Glucovance?

You may take Glucovance (glyburide and metformin), a medication for type 2 diabetes, for years or even the rest of your life. A combination of two diabetes drugs in one pill, Glucovance is often prescribed to people who can't control their blood sugar levels with a single medication. There may be reasons to stop taking Glucovance, however. Your doctor may consider stopping Glucovance if it causes side effects that are difficult to tolerate. If you need surgery, your doctor is likely to recommend that you stop Glucovance before your operation; you can start up again later. You should also stop temporarily if you need an x-ray procedure that requires injectable contrast agents. And if you're pregnant or breastfeeding, your doctor may want to switch you from Glucovance to insulin.

Don't stop taking Glucovance on your own. Work with your doctor to find the safest way to substitute another method for controlling blood sugar levels.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If you...
What are thiazolidinediones?
Rosiglitazone (Avandia) and pioglitazone (ACTOS) are in a group of drugs called thiazolidinediones. ...
What is Novolin?
Novolin (insulin human) is a form of man-made insulin -- a hormone normally produced in the panc...