When can I stop taking Glucovance?

You may take Glucovance (glyburide and metformin), a medication for type 2 diabetes, for years or even the rest of your life. A combination of two diabetes drugs in one pill, Glucovance is often prescribed to people who can't control their blood sugar levels with a single medication. There may be reasons to stop taking Glucovance, however. Your doctor may consider stopping Glucovance if it causes side effects that are difficult to tolerate. If you need surgery, your doctor is likely to recommend that you stop Glucovance before your operation; you can start up again later. You should also stop temporarily if you need an x-ray procedure that requires injectable contrast agents. And if you're pregnant or breastfeeding, your doctor may want to switch you from Glucovance to insulin.

Don't stop taking Glucovance on your own. Work with your doctor to find the safest way to substitute another method for controlling blood sugar levels.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
What are sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
Sulfonylurea drugs are used to treat type 2 diabetes. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abd...
When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...