When can I stop taking saxagliptin?

Talk to your doctor about when you can stop taking saxagliptin (Onglyza), a prescription drug used to treat type 2 diabetes. You should not stop taking it unless your doctor tells you to, even if you feel better. Because this drug affects your blood sugar, skipping doses or not taking the drug could cause your blood sugar levels to become too high.

If you take a dose of saxagliptin and develop symptoms of an allergic reaction (such as hives, rash, swelling of the face, difficulty breathing or swallowing) or pancreatitis (severe abdominal pain, sometimes going to the back, and possibly with vomiting), don't take another dose, and call your doctor right away.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...
What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...
What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Pramlintide (brand name Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin, which is produced along w...