When can I stop taking saxagliptin?

Talk to your doctor about when you can stop taking saxagliptin (Onglyza), a prescription drug used to treat type 2 diabetes. You should not stop taking it unless your doctor tells you to, even if you feel better. Because this drug affects your blood sugar, skipping doses or not taking the drug could cause your blood sugar levels to become too high.

If you take a dose of saxagliptin and develop symptoms of an allergic reaction (such as hives, rash, swelling of the face, difficulty breathing or swallowing) or pancreatitis (severe abdominal pain, sometimes going to the back, and possibly with vomiting), don't take another dose, and call your doctor right away.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and ...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
How do Januvia and Onglyza help treat diabetes?
Onglyza (saxagliptin) is approved for use by people with type 2 diabetes which is also being control...