When can I stop taking saxagliptin?

Talk to your doctor about when you can stop taking saxagliptin (Onglyza), a prescription drug used to treat type 2 diabetes. You should not stop taking it unless your doctor tells you to, even if you feel better. Because this drug affects your blood sugar, skipping doses or not taking the drug could cause your blood sugar levels to become too high.

If you take a dose of saxagliptin and develop symptoms of an allergic reaction (such as hives, rash, swelling of the face, difficulty breathing or swallowing) or pancreatitis (severe abdominal pain, sometimes going to the back, and possibly with vomiting), don't take another dose, and call your doctor right away.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

will i need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes ?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
how can i predict my body use of injected insulin ?
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
how do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes ?
The diabetes drug Prandin (repaglinide) works by stimulating the pancreas to release more insulin, a...
what is exenatide for diabetes ?
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...