When should I call my doctor if I am taking PrandiMet?

If you're taking the diabetes drug PrandiMet (repaglinide and metformin), you should call 911 right away if you have symptoms of a side effect called lactic acidosis. This condition is rare but serious -- when it occurs, it's fatal in 50% of sufferers. Kidney problems raise the risk of developing lactic acidosis. Symptoms include:
  • tiredness
  • trouble breathing
  • a general feeling of being unwell
  • hyperventilation
  • muscle pain or abdominal pain
You may also need to call the doctor if your blood sugar levels rise too high (hyperglycemia) or fall too low (hypoglycemia). Be sure to know the symptoms of these conditions so that you or the people around you can recognize the problem before it gets severe. You or your friends or loved ones should call the doctor if you experience hypoglycemia symptoms, such as seizures or loss of consciousness. You should also call the doctor if you have symptoms of hyperglycemia, such as extreme hunger or thirst, weakness or blurred vision.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
How does Novolog Flexpen treat diabetes?
In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood ...
What are sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
Sulfonylurea drugs are used to treat type 2 diabetes. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abd...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...