When should I call my doctor if I am taking Glucovance?

A number of symptoms should trigger a call to the doctor if you're taking the diabetes drug Glucovance (glyburide and metformin) because the drug can cause side effects, some of which are serious or even life-threatening. To avoid a medical emergency, call your doctor right away if you experience any of these signs of potentially serious side effects:
  • a skin rash or hives
  • itching or redness of the skin or an exaggerated sunburn
  • yellowing of the skin or eyes
  • light-colored stools
  • dark or clay-colored urine
  • pain in the upper right part of the stomach
  • unusual bleeding or bruising
  • fever and sore throat
You should also talk to your doctor if you develop symptoms of another serious side effect: high blood sugar. Symptoms include:
  • extreme thirst or hunger
  • frequent urination
  • blurred vision
Symptoms of low blood sugar also warrant a call to the doctor. These include:
  • dizziness
  • nervousness
  • headache
  • weakness
  • pale skin
  • sweating
  • nausea
  • shakiness
  • irritability
  • hunger
Eat or drink something containing sugar (such as a hard candy or fruit juice) right away if you experience symptoms. Untreated low blood sugar can lead to confusion, seizures and loss of consciousness.

Call your doctor right away if you have any of the following symptoms, which may indicate lactic acidosis, a rare but sometimes fatal side effect:
  • severe shortness of breath
  • excessive tiredness
  • muscle aches
  • stomach pain after the first few weeks of treatment
  • feeling cold
  • dizziness
  • a slow or irregular heartbeat
Finally, call your doctor if you get pregnant. Glucovance may affect the developing fetus.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do Januvia and Onglyza help treat diabetes?
Onglyza (saxagliptin) is approved for use by people with type 2 diabetes which is also being control...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...