When should I call my doctor if I am taking repaglinide and metformin?

The type 2 diabetes drug repaglinide and metformin (PrandiMet) can cause the levels of glucose (sugar) in your blood to become too high (hyperglycemia) or too low (hypoglycemia). Call your doctor if you develop symptoms of hyperglycemia, such as extreme hunger or thirst, weakness or blurred vision. Extreme hypoglycemia can cause confusion, seizures and loss of consciousness. Make sure the people you spend time with regularly know about these symptoms and know how to call for emergency help if you develop any of them.

Repaglinide and metformin also may cause a rare but serious side effect called lactic acidosis, particularly in people with kidney problems. Call for emergency help right away if you develop symptoms of lactic acidosis, such as fatigue, a general feeling of being unwell, trouble breathing, hyperventilation, muscle pain or abdominal pain.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...
What are thiazolidinediones?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Thiazolidinediones (TZDs) address the body’s inability to use insulin effectively to control blood s...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...