What should I know about Novolog Flexpen before using it?

If you have or have ever had kidney or liver disease or failure, Novolog Flexpen may not be right for you. If you are allergic to insulin or to any other medications, tell your doctor before using Novolog Flexpen. If you are pregnant, thinking about becoming pregnant, or breastfeeding, tell your doctor before starting Novolog Flexpen. Tell your doctor about any medications, vitamins, or supplements you are taking before you start Novolog Flexpen.

You should know that Novolog Flexpen uses a fast-acting form of insulin designed to prevent blood sugar spikes after meals. You should eat within 5 to 10 minutes of using Novolog Flexpen to avoid an unsafe drop in blood sugar. You should know the signs of hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, before using Novolog Flexpen. Your doctor may give you specific instructions to follow if you experience hypoglycemia.

Your doctor may need to change your dosage of Novolog Flexpen if you experience liver or kidney problems, stress or life changes, weight gain or loss, illness, or changes in diet and exercise.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking pramlintide?
If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide. Pramlintide increases the risk o...
Does liraglutide interact with any other medications?
Liraglutide can affect the absorption of some oral medications; it is important that the healthcare ...
What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...
What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Pramlintide (brand name Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin, which is produced along w...