What should I know about Novolog Flexpen before using it?

If you have or have ever had kidney or liver disease or failure, Novolog Flexpen may not be right for you. If you are allergic to insulin or to any other medications, tell your doctor before using Novolog Flexpen. If you are pregnant, thinking about becoming pregnant, or breastfeeding, tell your doctor before starting Novolog Flexpen. Tell your doctor about any medications, vitamins, or supplements you are taking before you start Novolog Flexpen.

You should know that Novolog Flexpen uses a fast-acting form of insulin designed to prevent blood sugar spikes after meals. You should eat within 5 to 10 minutes of using Novolog Flexpen to avoid an unsafe drop in blood sugar. You should know the signs of hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, before using Novolog Flexpen. Your doctor may give you specific instructions to follow if you experience hypoglycemia.

Your doctor may need to change your dosage of Novolog Flexpen if you experience liver or kidney problems, stress or life changes, weight gain or loss, illness, or changes in diet and exercise.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking pramlintide?
If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide. Pramlintide increases the risk o...
Do any other drugs interact with pramlintide?
Because pramlintide may affect absorption rates of some oral drugs, follow instructions carefully fo...
Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If y...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...