What should I know about Humalog before taking it?

Humalog works by lowering blood sugar, and as a result, there is some risk of lowering your blood sugar too much. Low blood sugar is called hypoglycemia, and causes dizziness and shakiness, weakness, hunger, and sweating, among other symptoms. You should be familiar with the symptoms of hypoglycemia and what to do if you experience them.

Humalog is similar to regular insulin, but it works more quickly. Also, the effects do not last as long as those of regular insulin. Your doctor may have you take Humalog along with other diabetes medications.

Never share your Humalog with someone else, even if you use different needles. There is a risk of transmitting bloodborne diseases if you share insulin vials. 

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and ...
When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...
Does Levemir cure diabetes?
Ms. Vandana  R. ShethMs. Vandana R. Sheth
No, Levemir does not cure diabetes. However, Levemir is a type of insulin that is used to control an...
How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...