What should I know about Apidra before taking it?

There are several things you should know before you take the diabetes drug Apidra (insulin glulisine), including how and when to take it, signs of an allergic reaction, potential side effects and common drug interactions. Here are some key things to be aware of:
  • You’ll need to regularly monitor your blood sugar while on this drug.
  • You should never take Apidra when you're having signs of hypoglycemia, a condition in which blood sugar drops dangerously low. Signs include shakiness, dizziness, confusion, difficulty speaking and feeling anxious or weak.
  • This drug interacts with many prescription and over-the-counter medications, including cold medicines and hormonal contraceptives. Before you start Apidra, it's important to tell your doctor about all your medications and supplements.
  • You'll need to rotate your injection site with each dose to help avoid skin thickening or pitting, both of which can interfere with absorption of the medicine.
  • If you use Apidra with an insulin pump, do not dilute Apidra or mix it with another form of insulin. Apidra should be used only with certain pumps; check your pump label to see if your pump has been evaluated with Apidra. 
  • Never share your Apidra with someone else, even if you use different needles. There is a risk of transmitting bloodborne diseases if you share insulin vials. 

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...