What is the proper dose of glibenclamide?

Glibenclamide (called glyburide in the US) is taken to treat type 2 diabetes. With this condition, insulin is not secreted in enough quantity for it to be used properly in the body. This drug increases insulin secretion from the pancreas. It then helps the body use insulin effectively. Typical adult dosage guidelines are:
  • The standard initial dose is 2.5 milligrams (mg.) taken orally (by mouth), once a day. It’s taken in the morning with food.
  • The standard maintenance dose is 1.25 to 20 mg. orally, in one or two divided doses.
  • The standard maximum dose is 20 mg. per day.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...
How does a sulfonylurea help treat type 2 diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Sulfonylureas are a class of oral medicine for type 2 diabetes. They lower blood glucose by help...
Is long-acting insulin better for lowering blood sugar before eating?
Yes,long-acting insulin (Lantus or Levemir) is better than short-acting insulin (regular) at lower...
What are the side effects of sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, heartburn, weight gain, and low blo...