What should I know about glyburide and metformin before taking it?

Before you take glyburide and metformin (brand name: Glucovance), a combination drug for type 2 diabetes, you should know that it can cause a rare but potentially life-threatening reaction called lactic acidosis, a toxic buildup of lactic acid in the blood. Your risks for lactic acidosis may be higher if you have a history of kidney, liver or heart problems, so your doctor should make sure these organs are working well enough to handle this drug. Your risk also goes up if you drink large amounts of alcohol or are 80 years of age or older.

Before you take glyburide and metformin, you should also know how to respond to low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) because that sometimes occurs in people who are on this drug.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

if i need insulin to control my blood glucose , which type should i take ?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
does liraglutide cause any side effects ?
Side effects may include headache, indigestion, nausea, low blood sugar, diarrhea, constipation, vom...
how can i predict my body use of injected insulin ?
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
do alpha-glucosidase inhibitors have any drug interactions ?
Drugs that may cause hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia need to be administered with caution to prevent l...