What should I know about glyburide and metformin before taking it?

Before you take glyburide and metformin (brand name: Glucovance), a combination drug for type 2 diabetes, you should know that it can cause a rare but potentially life-threatening reaction called lactic acidosis, a toxic buildup of lactic acid in the blood. Your risks for lactic acidosis may be higher if you have a history of kidney, liver or heart problems, so your doctor should make sure these organs are working well enough to handle this drug. Your risk also goes up if you drink large amounts of alcohol or are 80 years of age or older.

Before you take glyburide and metformin, you should also know how to respond to low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) because that sometimes occurs in people who are on this drug.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The only medication specifically approved by the FDA for treating those with type 1 diabetes other t...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
The first oral medications for people with type 2 diabetes, sulfonylureas stimulate the pancreas to ...
What is Novolin?
Novolin (insulin human) is a form of man-made insulin -- a hormone normally produced in the panc...