What should I know about Tradjenta before taking it?

Before taking Tradjenta (linagliptin), you should know it helps control blood sugar levels only for people with type 2 diabetes, a condition in which the body does not react to insulin properly or stops producing insulin. Tradjenta is not useful for people with type 1 diabetes.

Common side effects include sore throat, runny or stuffy nose; joint, back or muscle pain; and headache.

Since Tradjenta affects your blood sugar, you should monitor your blood sugar regularly while you're using it.

There have been reports of serious allergic reactions in people taking Tradjenta. If you develop a rash, itching, skin flaking or peeling, or swelling of the skin, face, lips, tongue or throat, stop taking Tradjenta and contact your doctor right away. 

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...
How do Januvia and Onglyza help treat diabetes?
Onglyza (saxagliptin) is approved for use by people with type 2 diabetes which is also being control...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should...