What should I know about repaglinide before taking it?

Before you take repaglinide (Prandin), a drug for type 2 diabetes, you should know that in order for it to work well, you need to take it as directed, eat a healthy diet and exercise. Repaglinide works by stimulating the pancreas to release more insulin right after you eat a meal.

You should know that, like other pills that lower blood sugar, repaglinide can sometimes cause blood sugar to fall too low. You should be aware of the signs of low blood sugar, and talk to your doctor about what to do if you notice symptoms. You should know that if your body is stressed -- by fever or surgery, for instance -- your blood sugar may slip out of control. In that case, your doctor may need to temporarily switch you to another drug.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
Does liraglutide interact with any other medications?
Liraglutide can affect the absorption of some oral medications; it is important that the healthcare ...