What should I know about Glucovance before taking it?

Before taking Glucovance (glyburide and metformin), a combination drug used to treat type 2 diabetes, you should know whether you have kidney or liver problems. Glucovance can cause a very rare but sometimes fatal reaction called lactic acidosis, a toxic buildup of lactic acid in the blood, and it's most common in people who have a kidney condition. A liver condition can make it harder for the body to metabolize the medication properly, which also raises the risk. Before you take this drug, you should also know that anyone who drinks alcohol in excess should not take it, because heavy drinking in combination with Glucovance also makes lactic acidosis more likely.

Glucovance can interact with many medications and supplements, so before you start taking it, you should tell your doctor about all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription), supplements and herbal remedies. You should also give your doctor a complete picture of your medical history because certain conditions can increase your risk for side effects.

Before taking Glucovance, work with your doctor to develop an exercise and diet program that works for you. Finally, learn how to handle low blood sugar because Glucovance (like many other diabetes drugs) can sometimes decrease blood sugar too much.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Does liraglutide cause any side effects?
Side effects may include headache, indigestion, nausea, low blood sugar, diarrhea, constipation, vom...
How effective is liraglutide?
People taking liraglutide for a year along with a program of diet and exercise lost an average of 18...
How does Novolog Flexpen treat diabetes?
In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood ...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...