What should I know about glimepiride before taking it?

Before taking glimepiride, you need to know that the medication is not meant to control insulin on its own. People taking glimepiride must continue to live healthy lifestyles by getting enough exercise and eating a healthy diet. Also, there are some severe side effects of glimepiride such as vision problems, jaundice, low blood sugar symptoms, and an odd heartbeat. If you experience severe side effects like these or feel uncomfortable taking the medication because of other side effects, you need to see a doctor. Before taking glimepiride, you also need to know that the medication can interact with certain drugs; if you have certain medical conditions, like symptoms of severe diabetes, the drug can cause harm. Additionally, allergic reactions are possible with glimepiride. You should not take this medication while pregnant. To determine whether glimepiride is right for you, you need to consult with your doctor and make sure you disclose your whole medical history.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...